Sonidos Serranos

Sonidos Serranos: Sounds of the Sierras...
Reflecting some of my family's interests: God's wonderful creation (especially mountains and hills!), music, and language...

Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

22 May 2009

bilingual interference

While combing Elizabeth's hair a couple days ago, she told me:

"You're putting a rash in my hair."

A rash?! In her hair?!

Then it hit me! A part in one's hair is una raya in Spanish! (Keep in mind our Uruguayan pronunciation!)

She was sitting on her Daddy's lap while I was combing her hair this morning, so I told him about the "rash" incident and my explaining that una raya is "a part" in English.

She pointed to her box of Mega Bloks and the remnants of an airplane (according to her) that she had made with them and exclaimed:

"My airplane is apart!"

Oh, the complexities of language(s)!

No comments: