Sonidos Serranos

Sonidos Serranos: Sounds of the Sierras...
Reflecting some of my family's interests: God's wonderful creation (especially mountains and hills!), music, and language...

Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

17 April 2017

Birthday Thoughts

Birthdays tend to be sobering occasions for me. The constant ache of missing my Mommy (my kindred spirit, growing up) flares into sharp, stabbing pain – again. And, quite frankly, the idea of getting older is not one I like very much at all...


This year, a hymn captures the longings of my heart: “O God, My Joy!

And I enjoyed this birthday fully! I’m still basking in its afterglow...

2017 is one of those years where my birthday and “Semana Santa” intersect; consequently, E and DJ had the whole week (plus one day) off from school; our family’s “traditional” idea of “birthday season” was therefore extended – without effort – and we were even able to get away and take a little “birthday drive” on my actual birthday. The constant demands of the academic year make us especially thankful for quick outings like these.

Our afternoon drive ended in Colonia, on the western side of Uruguay. E gathered brochures and fliers for her ongoing “tourism project” for school, and we enjoyed walking around the historic quarter of the city.


How shall we caption this photo?!
(DJ was worried about people walking into our picture
and, according to him, ruining it!)




I love the Silk Floss Kapok (“pink trees”) that add such a vivid splash of color to the otherwise muted colors of our autumn...

We watched the sun set at Playa del Rowing on the Río de la Plata...



And then we went to “Istanbul Gourmet: Mediterranean Restaurant” – definitely a highlight for me!

Now we won’t miss “The Pita House” in SC quite so desperately!


This evening we went down to “Plaza de la Armada” in Punta Gorda (one southern tip of Montevideo) to sip mate, watch ships, and drink in the crisp autumn air and sunset.


Skyline of Barrio Pocitos, Montevideo


On the eve of my birthday, students and friends surprised me with a “postre chajá” cake at a little gathering they had planned at our house.



These were a sweet gift from another student in class tonight!
(¡Gracias, Claudia!)


So many joys!

No comments: