Sonidos Serranos

Sonidos Serranos: Sounds of the Sierras...
Reflecting some of my family's interests: God's wonderful creation (especially mountains and hills!), music, and language...

Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

21 July 2009

lessons learned

Or I should say, lessons being learned. (That's the way it is with lessons – at least for this student in the school of real life!)

Neighborhood Bible School last week was a great blessing. I was privileged to work with a wonderful group of assistants whose love for God and people radiated in everything they did and said. (I'm so thankful for Mount Calvary Baptist Church!)




Elizabeth had a great time. She managed (in spite of her Daddy's and Mommy's extra busy-ness) to memorize seven of the eleven verses suggested for her age group. The funny thing is, she at first didn't want to work on the new theme verses:

Love the Lord your God with all your heart...
Love your neighbor as yourself.
(Mark 12:30-31)

Instead, she wanted to recite the Habakkuk passage she already knows! (Crazy, lazy girl!)


I'm also thankful for God's grace in my own life. Our theme was "All of Me, All-Out for God!" We studied the lives of Abraham and Sarah, King Josiah, Mary and Elizabeth, and Peter as well as the parable of the Good Samaritan, focusing on themes of faith, obedience, and joy in extreme circumstances and examining God's extreme forgiveness and love.

On Friday night, John Mark and I both taught the lesson on the Good Samaritan. (It was a blessing for me to study JM's notes!) Christ's answers to the lawyer who was questioning Him (wanting to justify himself) pointed to God's perfect standard, unattainable for sinners. (That's all of us!) Only God's working in my heart can enable me, a sinner, to obey His command to "go and do" what the Samaritan did. What awesome grace!


The Lord burdened my team to pray specifically (ahead of time) for the girls He would bring to our class. He answered our prayers and gave us a group willing to listen, especially as Bible lessons were presented. On Thursday evening, one of our neighborhood girls called on the name of the Lord for salvation!

The Lord also reminded both John Mark and me of His grace in our lives by allowing me to talk at length with one of the girls concerning her doubts. I remember our excruciating days of doubt – and praise the Lord again for enlightening the eyes of our hearts. I am also reminded that God teaches and comforts me so that I can comfort others with the comfort He gives.

Yes, it was a great week. God proved Himself faithful and gave us grace to endure car trouble, extra activities for Elizabeth, extra (last-minute) office work for me, and short nights for us all. We appreciate your praying! Please don't stop now! Pray that we'll catch up on sleep, housework, advanced deputation preparation, and car repairs!

And remember that God is good – all the time!

No comments: