Sonidos Serranos

Sonidos Serranos: Sounds of the Sierras...
Reflecting some of my family's interests: God's wonderful creation (especially mountains and hills!), music, and language...

Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

02 January 2017

Favorite Books Read in 2016

So! I actually ended up starting even more books – and not finishing any of those posted in “My Reading Challenge for 2016!” (I did, however, read many work-related articles...) J

Consequently, my goal in this new calendar year is simply: Finish reading the already posted list! (I plan to add a title here and there – especially by C.S. Lewis. But I’m planning to start with the already existing list.)

Since I posted this picture in early January 2016,
we have undeniably become a family of four readers!

And a few favorites – read together in 2016 but not included in The List – were the following:

A Little Princess (by Frances Hodgson Burnett)
I have fond memories of my mother reading this classic to our family, gathered around the fireplace on winter evenings when I was elementary age.


(by Margery Williams Bianco; illustrated by Monique Felix)

A classic that I discovered late!

I still recall the moment, sitting in our glider rocker in the baby’s room, transported back to the emotions of my own childhood, choking back surprised tears: “Where has this gem been all my life?!”

I especially love the illustrations in this particular edition!


Two heartwarming stories that give a human perspective to WWII have become favorites:

(by Margot Theis Raven; illustrated by Gijsbert van Frankenhuyzen)



(by Claire Huchet Bishop; illustrated by William Du Bois)


I will comment only that both are must-reads!


(by Rumer Godden; illustrated by Barbara Cooney in 1985)


We first discovered this warm Christmas classic in 2012 when I bought it right before Christmas (on clearance!) for E; it has become a favorite for JM to read aloud to our Little People! 

Barbara Cooney’s illustrations – capitalizing on light and shadow – play a delightful part in telling this sweet “story about wishing. It is also about a doll and a little girl...”


Happy New Year!” J

2 comments:

Julie Kieras said...

Love this list. Twenty and ten has been on my to read list, I just need to find it! :)

Deborah said...

Yes! We found our copy (used, I think) on Amazon.

Even DJ was riveted! We had to read it all in one sitting... :)