Sonidos Serranos

Sonidos Serranos: Sounds of the Sierras...
Reflecting some of my family's interests: God's wonderful creation (especially mountains and hills!), music, and language...

Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

05 November 2008

post-election ponderings

Encouraging thoughts for November 5, 2008.

Headline: God is on the throne of the universe! (See Psalm 2.)

My dear husband read an encouraging passage to me last night before we knew the definite outcome of the presidential election.

The Holy Spirit used the Apostle Paul to write the following words to Titus, the pastor of the church in Crete:

(John Mark prefaced the passage by pointing out the description of the Cretans, the people Titus was pastoring, in chapter 1. We couldn't help but notice a parallel to our modern society...)

"Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons."

The instructions to Christians in Crete in the first century apply to me, an American Christian in the twenty-first century. (Let's not forget the mercy of God in saving us!)

Remind them to be subject to rulers, to authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good deed,
to malign no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing every consideration for all men.
For we also once were foolish ourselves, disobedient, deceived, enslaved to various lusts and pleasures, spending our life in malice and envy, hateful, hating one another.
But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared,
He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,
whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
This is a trustworthy statement; and concerning these things I want you to speak confidently, so that those who have believed God will be careful to engage in good deeds. These things are good and profitable for men.


Amen!

I'd also like to share a link to an encouraging article I just read; Pastor Chris Anderson in Ohio outlines a biblical response I, as a Christian, ought to have...

Christians and the Obama Administration

Amen, again!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Hey Deborah,

That's a great reminder. I think many of us are finding cause to rejoice this day. Myself included. http://spoonandshovel.blogspot.com/2008/11/from-cow-pasture.html