Sonidos Serranos

Sonidos Serranos: Sounds of the Sierras...
Reflecting some of my family's interests: God's wonderful creation (especially mountains and hills!), music, and language...

Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

07 February 2015

Small Steps. Big Journey.

In January of last year I used this same title on a post. It fits today, so I’m using it again.

Three days ago, JM and I started the 3-day sugar detox, which we hope to turn into a long-term habit. He’s doing more than cheering; he’s doing this with me! J

It’s been a challenge! (A bigger challenge, in fact, than I thought it would be!)

Today we’re halfway through Day 4 (which is really the beginning of Week 1 of 4), and I’m feeling much better than I did those first three days! I didn’t suffer the possible side effects of headache or irritability during those first three days! (At least not any more irritability than a “normal” day can bring… Wait! What’s a “normal” day?! But I digress...) But I definitely felt “fogginess” and “fatigue” on and off.

However, adding a (generous!) “splash” of rich whole milk to this morning’s coffee really helped! Immensely! (I’m back to normal on that score! And thrilled!) And the (Gala) apple enjoyed at lunch was amazingly sweet! The feeling of a re-calibrated palate is amazingly satisfying.

I’m now looking forward to the serving of dairy later today. (I’ll probably make it a half serving of cheese and a half serving of plain yogurt; I’ve missed both!)

And I’m doing the best I can to find (I hunted all over the supermarket last night!) “Triscuit-like” crackers so I can add those in, but the best available aren’t as “high-fiber” as I’d like. But! Uruguay isn’t Kansas – or SC! I’m here, so I’m going to do the best I can with the whole wheat & flax-seed crackers I did find...

Overall, I’m encouraged that this is looking like a sustainable life-style change. There will be additional challenges (like summer family camp in ten days). But, we’ll “make do” and keep going!

Because of family history of Type 2 diabetes (on both sides), JM and I already consistently try to avoid refined sugars, choose whole grain options, make “desserts” an occasional treat, etc. But this Sugar Detox made me see how quickly I reach for a sugary quick pick-me-up (candy, left-over Christmas turrón, etc.) – especially as a mom of little people and part-time teacher. (I wouldn't have otherwise admitted or even realized that fact!)

I’m thankful to be feeling so happy in so many ways about taking this challengeIt’s already been worth it. And I’m looking forward to looking better, too.

Now to improve on the consistent exercise part of life… J

No comments: