Sonidos Serranos

Sonidos Serranos: Sounds of the Sierras...
Reflecting some of my family's interests: God's wonderful creation (especially mountains and hills!), music, and language...

Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

23 July 2017

“¡Feliz Día, Papá!”

“Father’s Day!” was last Sunday here in Uruguay. Life is crazier than usual right now, so we’ve celebrated in episodes.

E and DJ both (on their own initiative) gave gifts involving drawings that mirror aspects of our daily life as a family.

DJ’s reflect things that Daddy enjoys and/or that they enjoy together.

(You can enlarge the drawings by clicking on the collage!)

My favorites are riding the “103” (i.e. the crowded public bus!) to school, playing the piano (specifically “Milonga” as you can see if you look carefully at the next-to-last drawing), and soccer – of course!


E’s pictures are a good reflection of daily home life...


Crafts, computers, blocks, books, reading together...
(And “Abu Julia” enjoying the fireplace in winter!)

Our Little People amaze us constantly! The more I learn about cognitive psychology (especially as related to child development and education), the more I realize that our two are “normal” kids – who are being blessed with unusual opportunity!


As I read over and over again the crucial role that language development plays in cognitive development (and even in structuring the brain itself), I can’t help but wonder about the role that bilingualism is playing in these two!


I’m thankful! And humbled... Although there are educators who ignore, in practice, what they had to have been taught in theory, even those life experiences are part of the eclectic educational package that we are being gifted. The blessings include experiences that we would not have chosen ourselves but that are yielding advanced cognitive results beyond our expectations!

No comments: