Sonidos Serranos

Sonidos Serranos: Sounds of the Sierras...
Reflecting some of my family's interests: God's wonderful creation (especially mountains and hills!), music, and language...

Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

29 January 2010

A very exciting evening!

First, we went to The Picture People – for birthday pictures. (We had $25 Fun Cash to spend from our previous visit.) The pictures turned out beautifully. (It’s not just our bias as parents; the studio asked us to sign a release form, making the pictures candidates for display!)


On the way home, we stopped by Publix for some ice-cream. Conveniently for us, it’s on sale this week. With the $1.00/1 coupon from the Publix Toddler Club, the half gallon was $2.00! Hurrah for Publix! Elizabeth chose the “It’s Your Birthday Cake” flavor. It really does taste like a cake from the Publix Bakery.

While there, we ran into a dear friend and former co-worker from our days at The Press. It was great to catch up a bit…

As we were getting ready to check out, we saw him – Patch the Pirate! (I had told Elizabeth that he lived in town, and she had been asking to meet him.) It was quite amusing to watch Elizabeth’s face. First, she looked terrified – and then delighted. Then she blushed a deep red before turning pale. SO funny!

He was so gracious, putting her at ease, trying to guess her name – which, incidentally, she refused to tell.

“Is it Willy? Jonathan? Tom?”

“Is it Tomato? Is it Banana? I’m trying to think of all the good names I know… Is it Strawberry?”

She giggled with delight at his guesses.

On the way home, she asked why he had a patch on his eye…

“He had cancer in his eye (like Jona had in his arm). The doctors had to take his eye out… It’s kind of like the story of Joseph in the Bible.”

She loves that story!

“God used something bad to cause something very good to happen – and that’s how he became a pirate!”

Very different from a current favorite book

Yes, it was an evening of great adventure!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Paul just got a new Patch CD. I wondered if he'd understand it yet, but he loves it. They're on I-Land, and Paul always says, "Those are mean trees."

I remember my freshman year, I still had sisters who would appreciate Patch CDs, and I bought one for one of them for Christmas. But this time I had Peanut Pirate in one of my classes, so I worked up the nerve to ask her to autograph the cover. She was really nice and offered to take it home for all of them to sign. We're good friends now, but I still remember being 18 (all grown up) and being nervous to talk to such a celebrity. Elizabeth's not alone.

Deborah said...

Too funny! I might have been more nervous than Elizabeth at first; you know how it is here in G'ville. You don't want to impose on anyone...

I'm SO glad E got to meet him -- he is such a gracious person! I've been reminiscing on the impact the CDs (cassette tapes then!) and his testimony (esp in song) have had on my own life...

Donna said...

So, do we get to see the pictures?

Deborah said...

Yes! Thanks for reminding me! I'm planning to add them... :o)