Sonidos Serranos

Sonidos Serranos: Sounds of the Sierras...
Reflecting some of my family's interests: God's wonderful creation (especially mountains and hills!), music, and language...

Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

22 September 2015

Perspective...

Sitting next to DJ at lunch (on May 21), I told him that “los Abu” would be going to the USA on the same airplane as us.

“Wow! And Tía Tini, and…”

“But they won’t be coming back to Uruguay… And that’s sad for me because el Abu is my Daddy… He’s the one who used to carry me on his shoulders…”

(I knew DJ would understand that description because he loves to ride on JM’s shoulders!)

Without any hesitation, he put his little arms around me and said: “I’ll be the one to cuddle you now!”

I love this picture from Christmas 2013!


Choosing the Spanish option on the Smart Play Pad, DJ didn’t recognize the pronunciation of “camello.” When he finally associated the picture with the word, he exclaimed: “Oh! It’s cameLLo!” (emphasizing the “SH” sound instead of the “Y” sound)

After all, we do speak “casteLLano” here in the Río de la Plata!

¡Es uruguaYo de verdad este chiquilín!


We’ve recently taken up a renewed interest in space (due to E’s recent science studies combined with a new placemat, featuring the solar system).


In mid-August, walking into Pando from the church (on the outskirts of the city), DJ was riding on Manuel’s shoulders. Manuel was speeding up and slowing down – and making DJ very happy – but finally had to take a break.

M: I ran out of gas!
DJ: Then you need to use your solar panel!
M: But it’s night now!
DJ: But the solar panel can still collect light from the stars!

His relating the sun to the stars reminds me of a comment E made, when she was only slightly older than he is right now.


Recently, while trying to pinpoint when a certain event took place, DJ exclaimed: That was yester-yesterday!


E and DJ both have “imaginary friends” they include in stories they tell as they play. These friends’ names are Marianne and John, respectively.

Right before falling asleep one night just a couple weeks ago, DJ whispered confidentially: John has pianos for organs.

While I was processing his statement, he added: They’re all covered up with muscle.


And this one is perhaps my favorite...

Returning home from the Cementerio del Norte a couple weeks ago, we passed the monument that looks like a “U” – inspired by a former president’s “V” for “victory” gesture.


DJ whispered to me: It’s a smile… On a sad day…

(I just love the perspective our Little People give to life!)

No comments: