Sonidos Serranos

Sonidos Serranos: Sounds of the Sierras...
Reflecting some of my family's interests: God's wonderful creation (especially mountains and hills!), music, and language...

Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

20 April 2019

Eight years ago...

We continue to be thankful, as Jona’s extended family, for you who take a moment to let us know that you not only pause to remember but also to pray – and to let us know that you’re remembering and praying! We appreciate you!

Today a former classmates of Jona’s posted on the family’s fb page:


8 years. It’s amazing how fast time flies.

I remember waking up 8 years ago around 4 in the morning. I couldn’t sleep and checked my phone to see the title of a blog “Jona is home.” My heart wanted to believe he had just made it home after another trip to the hospital, but that wasn’t the “home” being referenced.

If you didn’t know him, his obituary sums up his life as best I can find words to convey through social media:
“On his fifteenth birthday he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma cancer, which God used to demonstrate to thousands of others around the world how much Jona enjoyed the eternal life that the Lord had given him through the gospel of grace. He was a man of prayer and a warrior of the faith.”

I still remember sitting in chapel listening to his testimony through this video. A high schooler, but a young man that will never be forgotten. The memories come back every year, happy and sad, along with the joy of knowing we will see him again one day.


“You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.”
(2 Corinthians 3:2-3)

[Thank you, Joseph, for sharing these thoughts...]

No comments: